December General Pickleball Meeting Commenced at 8:30
Deb Flynn welcomed everyone and gave a report on the status of play at CV-SV
-160 Pickleballs have been distributed, and this total number of players does not include those who retained their balls from last year.
– The First Aid Kit has been restocked with fresh equipment and supplies.
– Please pass on the information that was presented at this meeting to those who did not attend.
-The Round Robin Sign up Sheets will be posted on ‘Day Of’ events with the exception of Saturday R/R which will be available a few days early
-A Maximum of 27 participants will be allowed at each R/R, and if there are many extras on Saturdays, a fourth R/R may be scheduled for Saturday Afternoon.
-All R/R start at 11:00 (A/B/C designations will be sorted out at that time) with the exception of Friday Night Dinking Game and Saturday multiple event play.
-The Rotation of A/B/C play on Saturday was discussed. With A at 9:00 there will be no possibility of open courts. We discussed moving C play to 9:00 permanently and rotating only A/B times. A show of hands was taken and it was decided to continue to rotate all 3 levels of play on Saturdays. Times of play will be posted on the Facebook Page and at www.cvsvpickleball.wordpress.com
Yes, we need more courts, and Park Management has been approached about the crowding we are experiencing.
It was brought up again that players are to remain outside the Yellow taped off area in front of concession and do not remove Sling Chairs from the patio area.
-A 20′ by 20′ Sun Shade has been ordered by Park Management.
-Players need to remember that once all courts are full and players are waiting that we have a ‘Play 2 Games, Get Off’ rule. Note: This Only applies if courts are full and less than 8 paddles waiting
-The Paddle holder has been striped at 8 waiting mark. Once that has been reached, players only play one game and then all 4 come off.
-Paddle holder has also been striped at 16 waiting mark. Once this has been reached, all games are first team to 9 points, Win by One. This is not a perfect scenario, but is the best we can provide with the number of players and courts we have available.
-The Concession Stand Needs support of Pickleball Players to remain viable. Root Beer floats after a long morning of play are wonderful.
-Debbie Schuster has approached her VDO counterpart (5 times) asking for info about Cal Am Fun Tournament. No info forthcoming on limiting level of players, Age groups or # of teams invited per park.
-Tournament dates Feb 14 – 16 Referees likely required from CV-SV
-Tryouts as follows:
Jan 15 @ Noon (rain out on 16) Mixed Teams
Jan 17 @ Noon (rain out on 18) Women’s Teams
Jan 19 @ Noon (rain out on 21) Men’s Teams
– An In House Tourney will be organized for early February is there are enough volunteers to organize and administer the event.
– The Schedule and organization of the Social Court was discussed. Players are encouraged to move their paddles to the Social court line up and use the opportunity play with and try and teach newer players the game when appropriate. Deb spoke about not wanting to resort to scheduling specific times that certain players or levels will be ‘allowed’ to play during weekday open times.
-Connie M. mentioned that we need to Be Nice to new players, and not blow them off the courts.
Ginny reported that some new players are too intimidated to come down and play in the morning. We need to make them feel welcome. Ask new players you go on the court with what their level of play is and adjust your game accordingly.
– There will be a Friday Men’s B/C level Round Robin scheduled at 1:00. Time rotation between A and B/C will be explored if participation number warrant it.
– For the Wednesday Mixed Team R/R, single players are encouraged to show up. There have been ‘unattached’ players unable to play as they have no partners.
The Meeting was adjourned at 8:55.