Beginning this Saturday, A level play is at 9:00, C is at 11:00 and B is at 1:00. Open play may continue on any unused courts. See you there.
CV-SV Pickleball Meeting Nov 11th 2017 9:00 AM
Deb Flynn welcomed all the new players as well as all the returning players to our courts. She then introduced the rest of the committee:
Robin Sipe, Mike Peterson, Tom and Connie Moroni, Everett Johnson, Dale Bolt and Rod and Sylvia Williams are all available to assist with any questions and concerns that players may have.
- As long as there are no fistfights on the courts we consider ourselves to have a successful day on the courts 😊
- Be respectful of all other players, and ensure that everyone else has a good time, just like you are
- Everyone is welcome on the courts and is welcome to play with any other player.
- Everyone needs to participate to ensure the courts fun and help others to play better.
- Alcohol is allowed at the courts, but only AFTER you have finished playing for the day.
- If you suspect that your opponent has imbibed and is incapable of playing without causing a problem, for their own safety, please leave the court and refuse to play with him or her.
- Please do not relocate the patio chairs from the patio behind the concession stand. The chairs available to Pickleball are the white folding chairs.
- Please stay away from the Yellow Line in front of the door to the concession stand to allow the staff to access the kitchen when it is open or being stocked.
- The mounts for the paddles will be moved away from the gates, and we ask that players hang their bags and equipment on the back of the Risers from now on.
- During open play please play no more than 2 games in a row (win or lose) once all six courts are full.
- Once there are more than 8 paddles in the rack waiting during Open Play we will start changing 4 off after every game. A discussion was had about how we will handle the turnovers. At the following committee meeting it was decided to keep the format as is and the next 4 paddles will automatically go on whether they won or lost their last game. This process may change this winter as we determine how well it works. If there are too many folks playing together too often, please consider dropping back in the rotation when you come off the courts. Do not wait to drop back when your paddle is at the front of the line. This causes too much confusion and delay at the gate.
- Nancy began a discussion on court etiquette. Open play is always going to provide games where weaker and stronger players are on the same court. Play to the opposition you have. If you are a stronger player, do not pick on the weaker opponent, but take the opportunity to teach them some of the finer aspects of the game. Reserve your more skilled aggressive play for the Round Robins in your skill level. Please play with everyone and make the courts inclusive to players of all skill levels.
- The social courts (#4 and 5) are available for players who want to play a less intense and normally lower skill level of game. Once there are 4 paddles to the right of the gate they have access to Court 4 as soon as the next Open Play game is complete. They can only play one game and must release the court to open play for one game. Once an additional 2 paddles are lined up these 6 players have the exclusive use of court 4. Once there are a total of 8 paddles ready court 5 is available to them on a play one game release the court basis. Once there are 10 or more paddles available, courts 4 and 5 are exclusively for social players as they will have developed their own rotation.
- Starting Saturday Nov 18th, Open play will officially end at 9:00 and the Round Robins will begin. C level will start at 9:00, B level at 11:00 and A level at 1:00. If, during the scheduled Round Robin all courts are not in use, Open Play may continue. The scheduled playing times will change in December.
- Times for ALL scheduled events and lessons will be posted on the White Board at the Courts.
- We have a wish list that Deb will present to Cal-Am. This includes additional courts and shade for the seating at the patio. Robin and Donna have done some preliminary research on the Shade, and a 10×20 anchored shade will cost close to $500.
- Richard asked if we might consider Afternoon Open Play, and schedule specific court times for A, B and C level players. This will be taken under consideration, but not implemented until deemed necessary.
- Every week, Saturday Round Robin scores will be evaluated to see if players are slotted in the correct player group. Deb and other committee members will approach the bottom 3 and top 3 players in each group to move them up or down as appropriate. Cumulative week by week scores will not be recorded.
- All Round Robins will be limited to a maximum of 27 players. A waiting list will be established after 27 to fill in for No Shows. Sign up sheets will be available by 9:00 AM two days prior to every Round Robin. Please don’t sign up if you’re not going to show up.
- Pickleballs will be provided by Deb Flynn to all new players. If your pickleball breaks, contact Deb to get a replacement.
The meeting wrapped up by 9:45.
A Committee meeting was held immediately after the General Meeting.
At this meeting it was decided to:
- Keep the paddle system as is. Next two up are next two on until we start to rotate four. Pulling your paddle once it reaches the front because you don’t want to play on a particular court will cause your paddle to be put at the back of the line.
- A visual marker (Yellow Tape) will be placed on the paddle rack to allow players to easily see when there are 8 paddles waiting.
- Open play is not for team play or practice. If you want to practice for a tournament, please do this after Open Play.
- The schedule posted on the activity list distributed by Cal-Am will be fixed as it is inaccurate.
- Open play courts will be available during scheduled Round Robins if they are not all in use.
- A blog site will be established to allow those not on Facebook to catch up on Club news and events. It will be a mirror of the information placed on the Facebook Page by Connie.
- The posting of Round Robin signup papers 2 days before any event will continue for November, but will be evaluated and will likely change to ‘Day Of’ sign up for December.
- Men’s Round Robin will likely be moved from Fridays to Thursdays as of Dec 1st. (Cancelled. Thursdays is the day for John’s Intermediate lessons)
- Next Month’s Committee meeting will be held the day before the General Meeting at a location to be determined.
- Wednesday Nov 15th will be the first day of Mixed Round Robin team play.
- Over the next few weeks we will gauge the interest in scheduling a Teams Round Robin event where Men’s, Women’s and Mixed teams will be scheduled to play. Day of week Scheduling for this event TBD.
- Cal-Am tournament play will begin in January. This event will be restricted to players of level 3.5 and above and will be scheduled February 14-16th.
- CV-SV will schedule an in house fun tournament for some time in February.
- Cal-Am Management will be asked for a date when they will make a decision about providing us with a suitable Sunshade. They will also be asked about providing us with wind breaks for the courts, and asked to clean the cement residue off the courts that occurred when the retaining wall foundation was built next to the North side of the courts.
- The Committee was asked to ensure that players respect the rotation process at the courts. No player should be allowed to ‘Cherry Pick’ their opponents during busy Open Play times.
- No teams will be allowed to practice together during open play. Please reserve your practice times for after Open Play. We are certain that players will be available to assist with tournament preparation during the afternoons.
This is the excerpt for your very first post.